Dawne Lucas; “Not ‘Simply the Old-Fashioned Grip’: The Impact of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic”
Dawne is the Health Sciences Library’s Special Collections Librarian. She is responsible for the HSL’s rare book, manuscript, and medical equipment collections. She is also responsible for exhibit preparation and the digital initiatives such as the North Carolina History of Health Digital Collection. She has BA in Journalism and Mass Communication, AND BA in History both from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She also has MSLS, from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- The Nominating Committee is submitting the following list of officers and board members for the 2018-19 year. They will be elected at the March 6 meeting.
President, Tim Atkins; Vice President, Gary Barnes; Secretary, Jim Allen; Treasurer, Sam Bell, Sergeant-at-Arms, Barbara Pipkin; Immediate Past President, Ken Morgan.
At-Large Board Members; Lynn Blanchard, Art Menius, Jim Peacock, Gayle Peacock
Nominating Committee per the bylaws: Tim Atkins, Ken Morgan, and Gayle Peacock
- Membership Vote on Rob Westerman. Excited to have Rob as new member.
He begin in Rotary with the Cameron Park, California club, when he was a professor at Cal State Sacramento. Next he was in the Lewisburg, Pennsylvania Club, while he was a professor at Bucknell University. Then he was out of Rotary for some time – rejoining Rotary in 2008 in Spring Hill, Tennessee after retiring from a career with the Office of Personnel Management at Camp Smith Hawaii. In 2009 he was working again as a contractor in Omaha NE, Afghanistan, and Italy.
- Board of Directors meeting immediately following the regular meeting.
- District Conference, April 27-29 in New Bern. For more details and to register, go to http://www.rotary7710conference.org/. The cost of registration until March 15, 2018, is only $150.
- Duke/UNC Rotary Peace Center Conference, Saturday, April 7. For more information or to register, go to http://rotarypeacecenternc.org/spring-2018-conference/.
Feb 20; Carol Offen, Importance of Kidney Donations
Feb 27; Bill Palmer & Gayle Peacock, The Rotary Foundation (Home BB Game at 9:00 PM)
Mar 6; Dr. Pamela Baldwin, Superintendent, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
Mar 13; Chief Susanna Schmitt Williams, Carrboro Fire Chief
Mar 20; Matthew Kane, Project Raleigh